[TowerTalk] Multiple guy anchors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Multiple guy anchors
From: ve6jy@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca (Don Moman)
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 10:15:31 -0700 (MST)
Well, I sure think it is.  I've done similar things here on some of the
towers for both the reasons you mention.  I changed my stacking plans when
the 48 foot boom OWA designs came out, so I moved the top set of guys out
another 50 feet by turning in another set of screw anchors. On some of the
other towers I have installed two extra screw anchors directly beside (one
on each side) the original anchor.  Belt AND suspenderss, you know....

On a single guy anchor corroding thru - NEVER have a DC path from one rod
to another guy point or tower base.  You should have at least one big
insulator in series with each guy, or one for all.  This prevents current
flowing between these points, an especially likely situation if you have
the points in widely different types of soil or wet/dry etc.  A rough rule
of thumb is "20 lbs per amp year". You can see that even a few ma flowing
for several years could remove enough metal to be a concern.  An
especially bad scenario is a cement base for your anchor with a thin layer
of dirt over top - this concentrates all the corrosion in those few
inches.

73 Don
VE6JY