[TowerTalk] 40m 4 Square

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 40m 4 Square
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 18:03:30 -0600
My friend NN4T had problems keeping his 40 ft top loaded
80M verticals up.  I suggested he use 2 inch diameter 6 ft long
sections with 1-7/8 couplers at each joint.  They were sufficiently
rigid yet light in weight that he was able to install them by himself
and has had no more problems with wind damage.  They are mounted
on pressure treated 4 X 4's  6?-7? ft out of the ground, hinged at the
base and trapped in a wooden gate at the top.  I'm sure a similar
solution would work for 40M, with possibly even smaller diameter
tubing, say 1.5 inches?

Tom  N4KG

On Fri, 29 Jun 2001 18:29:15 -0400 k4sqr@juno.com writes:
> Patrick;
>
> Using  vertical formula of 234/7.000=33.4 feet
> or 33 feet 4 & 5/8 inches. 33'4" will certainly be a good starting
> point
> for 7.0.
>
> Starting with 2" OD and going up the chart of smaller sizes, see the
> 6'
> UPS shippable aluminum at www.texastowers.com  A 6" overlap is
> adequate
> for 40 meters.
>
> Using 1" cuts gives two "slots", then again perpendicular results in
> two
> more. A stainless hose clamp tightens this joint very nicely. If in
> high
> wind county, use a splice to obtain 12' of 2" diamter etc. and/or
> pin the
> joints.
>
> 73,
>
> Jim Miller, K4SQR
> http://www.comteksystems.com
> 4-Square Experts, Stack Yagi
> & Remote Antenna Switching Systems
>

> On Fri, 29 Jun 2001 16:43:46 -0400 "RichmondP" <richmondp@home.com>
> writes:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am in the process of constructing a 40 meter four square and
> need
> > advice.
> > What type of aluminum or pvc should I use to construct my
> vetricals
> > and what
> > taper would the best to use.  The verticals will be approximately
> 35
> > feet
> > high.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Patrick, W4PV
> >

> > List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this
> summer?
> > Call us
> > for information on our fabulous Trylon Titan self-supporting
> towers
> > - up to
> > 96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
> > HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
> > www.ChampionRadio.com</A>
> >
> > -----
> > FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/towertalk
> >

> Jim Miller, K4SQR
> http://www.comteksystems.com
> 4-Square Experts, Stack Yagi
> & Remote Antenna Switching Systems
>
> List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer?
> Call us
> for information on our fabulous Trylon Titan self-supporting towers
> - up to
> 96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
> HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
> www.ChampionRadio.com</A>
>
> -----

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!