[TowerTalk] Yelloe Jackets on tower:

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Yelloe Jackets on tower:
From: wa4bpj@nina.pagesz.net (Mike Murphy)
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 22:52:08 -0400

I've done a lot of climbing over the years on both amateur and commercial
towers in North Carolina. In the fall, it's common to find these insects on and
about towers. I've never encountered a nest on the tower. I suspect the
daytime heat in the steel is an attraction to them. It's also been my
experience that at least on the tower and in this season these critters are
docile. I've climbed through swarms of them at different levels and was never
stung. They didn't seem at all interested in me. In fact, more than once they
were sluggish enough that I've crushed them under my gloved hand as I
would climb. I do recommend gloves. I have no doubt that I would be stung if
I caught one under my bare hand while climbing.

If I had to climb your tower, I'd skip the chemicals, ignore the bugs and
finish
the inspection and maintenance but I recognize there is a certain pucker
factor involved. Do what you're most comfortable with and be safe.

73 & Good Luck

Mike, WA4BPJ<FontFamily><param>Times New Roman</param>

</color>>