[TowerTalk] Vertical ground radials

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Vertical ground radials
From: frenaye@pcnet.com (Tom Frenaye)
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 23:30:49 -0400
At 08:54 PM 10/24/2001 -0600, K8ZTT wrote:
>I did not get one positve response about elevated
>radials; so the answer is use ground radials.

I have 4 raised radials for the verticals on my 160m 4-square, it works very
well.  It just means I believe 4 raised radials are better than 4 radials on
the ground. On the other hand, 30 radials on the ground are better than 4
raised radials, and more are better, as has been noted.

To go from 4 to 30 radials on 160m means I need 14,000 feet of radial wire,
have to do a lot of walking in the woods, lower the base of the verticals and
solder a bunch of wires together.    It should result in a gain of couple of
db.  I did that with my 80m 4-square this year just 7000' of wire) and it was a
lot of work!   Maybe 160m will be next if I can find a good source of cheap
wire (I prefer #14 to keep it from breaking).

But, the 4 raised radials are quite good (and easiest to install by far),
you'll only be beat out by a few percent of stations on the band.

                -- Tom