[TowerTalk] Rotor Cable- cost, and wire guage for long run

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rotor Cable- cost, and wire guage for long run
From: W0AH@aol.com (W0AH@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 14:07:28 EST
This week I put a 3 el wide spaced (32' boom) 20M beam on top of my 94' Rohn
25, 160M, shunt fed vertical.  It's fixed at Europe, but I would love to
rotate it using and old CDR TR4 rotator.  The tower is about 300' from my
shack, so I would need almost 400' of 8 conductor cable.  Belden makes a
light duty rotor cable, product 8448- 2 x 18 guage and 6 x 22 guage and a
heavier duty rotor cable, product 9405 - 2 x 16 guage and 6 x 18 guage.
General Cable's heavier duty rotor cable, product C4090 product, is 2 x 16
guage and only 6 x 20 guage.
Radio Works has a rotor cable that appears similar to Belden 9405.  Does any
one know if any of the above are husky enough for a 400' run to a CDR rotator?
The Belden 9405 costs about $320 for 500 feet.  Not sure of the General Cable
price, but the Radio Works cable costs about $175 for 500 feet.  These costs
are more than I have in my Piggy bank!  Are there any less expensive options?
 In the mean time, my antenna remains fixed on Europe and is about 6 db
better than my KT34XA at 41'.
Doug  W0AH  Woodland Park CO

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----