[TowerTalk] 10m-20m Antennas Above 150ft

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 10m-20m Antennas Above 150ft
From: dick.green@valley.net (Dick Green)
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 12:28:48 -0500
My experience working with relatively low antennas here (50'-70') versus
higher antennas at multis (100'-150') is that height makes a difference not
only at the band edges, but also when conditions are disturbed. For example,
during CQWW SSB this year at KR1G, on 10M I was able to switch between a
4/4/4/4 with the top beam at 100' and a 7-el at 150 feet. Most of the time,
the stack and high beam were either equal or the stack was slightly better
(I could configure the stack in any combination.) But when the disturbance
hit, the 7-el at 150 feet kicked butt while the stack was all but useless.
It was quite dramatic. Conditions were disturbed again in CQWW CW, and the
breakdown sheet comparisons indicate that while I was struggling on the
higher bands, others with higher antennas were doing much better.

Perhaps even more important, I think you'll find that height is a bigger
factor at the sunspot minimum than it is now. What I hear from experience
contesters is that the arrival angles are higher at the sunspot maximum, so
those 10M monobanders at 30 feet can actually out perform beams at 100-150
feet during the peak of the opening.

73, Dick WC1M

Order online at http://store.eham.net.

-----