[Towertalk] I need to be louder on 40 and 80.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] I need to be louder on 40 and 80.
From: schiers@netins.net (hasan schiers)
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 09:52:51 -0600
As I recall, when you use the inverted V configuration in either two half
waves in phase or a double extended zepp, you do not end up realizing the
gain at productive angles that you would expect from a flat top. A few years
ago I modled the effect of a flat top versus inverted v on a double-extended
zepp for 20m and what I found was that the gain in the V configuration was
not where I expected it (at the desired takeoff angle). Since I had been
working with a flat top, I was looking at around 20 deg. The predicted gain
was exactly as expected. I did nothing more than remodle with a "drooping
dipole" and at 20 deg...the gain was gone. I then did a 3D model and sure
enough, the right amount of gain over  dipole was there, but at a MUCH
higher takeoff angle.

So I would advise caution in assigning increased performance to longer
center fed wires over a dipole, IF you change the configuration from a flat
top to an inverted vee. The gain will be there, but not necessarily at the
desired takeoff angle.

I then proceeded to model a 130' center fed wire, flat top versus inverted
vee. No matter where I looked the flat top produced more gain at a lower
takeoff angle on any frequency that was at least 2X the fundamental. I think
the problem is that the "two half waves in phase" aren't "in phase" any
longer once you move from flat-top to inverted vee.

73,

...hasan, N0AN