[Towertalk] OAKUM

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] OAKUM
From: eugenejensen@nyc.rr.com (Eugene Jensen)
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 22:55:37 -0500
Since I actually use this fine material; we used to stuff it in conduits
and because it swells when it gets wet, it basically was used as a way
to keep bugs and other such items from going down with the wire runs.
Also, and now my age is really now starting to show: they used to pound
Oakum into a pipe joint and then you would either pour or pound lead in
to seal it. Again, it was used where conduits were run in high water
tables and high voltage cables to a degree were to be kept dry.  Also in
the plumbing field it was used in water mains, and as such.  I would
suggest that an easier solution for sealing a pipe or conduit would be
simply to use duct seal; it comes in one or five pound bricks; and also,
it is a much easier material to plug a hole and to remove when one wants
to put another wire down that same conduit; and you can buy it at any
electrical supply house or Home Depot, I have seen one pound bricks
there. Another neat little trick for duct seal is if you are taping two
irregular shaped items together, i.e., an example would be high voltage
terminating ends you wrap duct seal around the terminators and then tape
them. It's much easier to shape something round and tape it than it is
to tape one that is rectangular or odd shaped. 73's Gene K2QWD