[Towertalk] Burning ?'s

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Burning ?'s
From: n2rd@arrl.net (Rajiv Dewan, N2RD)
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 18:52:34 -0000
I used some yagi models I had on Eznec to get some quick answers.

Before I mention the results - a big caveat.
While there is some regularity in gain, f/b and boom length, number of
elements at the design frequency, there is almost none that I can
discern for off frequency behavior of highly engineered antennas.  You
really have to model the antenna you have.  With this caveat:

1.  The 5 el 20m yagi that had a free space gain of 9.84dbi and 26.7
db f/b turned 180 degrees on 17 and 12. The main lobe was off the
back, with 4 db back to front and max gain of around 3dbi.
Essentially, it sucked.

2. The pattern of 40m 2 ele yagi on 15m had huge side lobes that were
bigger than the front and back lobes.  Essentially symmetric.

Hope this helps.  Although it doubt it.

Regards,
Rajiv, N2RD