[Towertalk] Sleeve for Rohn Base

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Sleeve for Rohn Base
From: ford@cmgate.com (Ford Peterson)
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 15:30:36 -0500
I'm trying to re-use a Rohn hinged base that is damaged but still quite
solid.  The holes were elongated.

The 25G tubes on the base are 1.25" OD nominal.  I found some Aluminum
6061-T6 to be exact, that has a 1.25" ID with a 0.200" wall thickness.  It's
anodized and some pretty beefy stuff.

I have three concerns:

1) Strength of a sleeve of this aluminum slipped over the tubes between the
base and the first section of 25G.  Will this aluminum be able to take the
stresses of a 40' guyed tower with a tribander, mast, rotator, etc?

2) Electrolysis.  I know a little less than nothing about electrolysis
between a galvanized steel tube and an anodized 6061-T6 aluminum tube.  Is
this asking for trouble?

3) The fit is so tight, I'll have to pound the sleeve onto the first section
and then onto the base.  I doubt that the galvanizing will survive.  In
addition, I may be forced to lightly sand the zinc smooth just to make it
fit.  Once again, is this asking for trouble?

Thanks for the help.

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com