[Towertalk] rope

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] rope
From: k2av@contesting.com (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 21:10:31 -0400
Not to minimize your friend's death, not at all.

Speaking technically, this may mean that stretchy rope should not be
used with severe loads, or with heavy loads on pulleys using friction
or sleeve bearings.

The 4:1 stainless ball bearing halyard pulley set I got from the
marine supply house does not exhibit the jumpiness you reference. The
pull across it is completely smooth. I would not use pulleys that
exhibited the behavior you described, assuming, due to the friction
exhibited, that the bearings were overloaded.

As has been explained, there are some load positioning advantages to
rope with a slight stretchiness.

I have seen some degree of the phenomenon you describe on a rope
pulled by a car with a standard transmission. The clutch action was
too jerky. They changed to a car with an automatic transmission and no
more problem. Any non-gradual change in movement is a problem.

In any event, people can get killed on and around towers. If ANYTHING
seems weird, cease and desist until everything is properly worked out.

It really is tough losing a friend in an accident. All of a sudden
they're just gone, there's this big hole in your life, and there's
this unreal circumstantial mess to help clean up.

Ain't NUTHIN on a tower worth risking that.