[Towertalk] Lost My Tower Tuesday

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Lost My Tower Tuesday
From: kbottles@rafn.com (Kim Bottles)
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 19:44:26 -0700
Mike,
Sorry about your tower.

Re; the attachment to existing concrete base. There are some very good
epoxies made to use with concrete coring. About two months ago, I core
drilled the old concrete base at K7SS (which was originally installed by
our own K7LXC) when Danny wanted to use it to install a different 48
foot self supporting tower for his new SteppIR. And then we epoxied in
some "legs" LXC gave me for a base.

I checked with the epoxy people (Covert Operations in Los Angeles) and
used their recommendations for type of epoxy.

We drilled three 3" or 4" holes (I can't remember exact diameter) about
a foot deep and then set the legs. About a week to cure and up went the
tower.

I happen to own a construction company, so I borrowed one of my best,
most experienced concrete superintendents and he "helped" me with the
task. (In other words he did most of the work. He did let me drill one
of the holes.)

My superintendent and the epoxy people laughed out loud when I
questioned the strength of the installation. "It will be a hell of a lot
stronger than the concrete!" was, I believe, their exact quote.

I am not recommending anything here (my corporate counsel made me say
that) but I would suggest you look into core drilling and epoxy for
mounting some legs for a new tower in your existing concrete base. Any
good local concrete installer should be able to help you with the
project.

And using a licensed PE to design the installation would be a very good
idea.

Best of luck!

Kim - K7IM