[Towertalk] double bazooka

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] double bazooka
From: jreisert@jlc.net (Joe Reisert)
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2002 11:20:42 -0400
Hi Tom,

Just to add a few words.

In the early 1980's, Frank Witt, AI1H, was doing lots of work on broad
banding 80-meter dipoles. He first explored the double bazooka and
concluded it was slightly wider in bandwidth but had high loss. He loaned
me a commercial one he purchased, I think from a W6 who may have had some
patent on same, for testing. I replaced my G5RV with it and found it
definitely quieter on receive. However, now I was even less competitive in
the pileups (by a noticeable amount). I concluded that it had added a
little bandwidth with loss, a poor tradeoff for me!

BTW, Frank went on to do several iterations with the dipole and did great
work (all published in QST, The ARRL Antenna Handbook and some Antenna
Compendiums) using the feedline "resonator" sections, one popularized by
W6NL, which had great efficiency and wider bandwidth, albeit a one band
antenna.

73,

Joe, W1JR