[Towertalk] double bazooka

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] double bazooka
From: jreisert@jlc.net (Joe Reisert)
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2002 16:52:44 -0400
Hi Steve,

My point about the G5RV is that as originally configured is that it yields
a reasonable match to 50 Ohm on the major ham bands that most modern day
radios can match WITHOUT AN ANTENNA TUNER. Your method of bringing in the
low loss 450 Ohm line all the way is fine and less loss but it does require
an antenna tuner (which has loss and can be a pain to keep matched as you
QSY), a device I no longer have or desire in my shack!

I recommend a T240-43 core from Amidon. With RG303 or RG141/RG142 PTFE
coax, it only requires about 6 or 8 turns to do the job!

An RG213 feed line is recommended from the balun to keep the loss low and
shouldn't be any longer than required to attach to the radio. At 100 feet,
it's only a dB of loss plus a small amount due to mismatch. No big deal

I ran up to 1000 Watts into my G5RV on 75/80 and 40 meters and never had a
problem. Likewise, AD1C does the same up to 1,500 Watts on all bands from
80 through 10 meters (except at 30 meters hi). He uses, I think, a Radio
Works or Unadillan W2DU type balun laying right on the ground!

GL and 73,

Joe, W1JR