[Towertalk] Rotator and Antenna Switch Protection Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Rotator and Antenna Switch Protection Question
From: n2mg@eham.net (Mike Gilmer, N2MG)
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 17:59:58 -0300
A common device to use to protect against surges and the like is a
tranzorb or varistor.  They aren't meant to take a direct lightning hit
(likely vaporize like most everything), but are useful for protecting
against near-hit transients.  Near-hit damage is far more common than
direct-hit, but also less catastrophic so it's your call whether these
offer the protection you want.

A typical device I've seen used in some commercial antenna switch boxes
is something with a clamping voltage around 100V-200V and ~5KA surge
current rating - about the size of a nickel with radial leads.

Digikey http://www.digikey.com sells P7217-ND for around $0.50 .

73 Mike N2MG