[Towertalk] Towers in Hurricanes

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Towers in Hurricanes
From: wendell@wyly.org (Wendell Wyly W5FL)
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 17:17:38 -0500
Designing to the wind speed is normally required for any structure that
requires a building permit including towers (but not antennas on the
towers).  Designing to survive all kinds of flying debris is not practical.
Fortunately, you are talking about guyed towers, that even when a section is
destroyed, tend to collapse about their own base rather than fall flat.  If
you destroy enough guys, anything is possible.

I live in a 70 mph wind speed area but have my tower designed for 110 mph.
I had a downburst during a storm in excess of 110 mph that took 45 sheets of
plywood off the house (with the metal roofing attached) and sent them over
3/4 mile away.  Where they hit a series of 2 3/8 heavy wall pipe fence
posts, they sheared them off level with the ground.  Anyone or anything in
the path would have been badly damaged.  One large tree limb came through
the window and was inside the den.  Another tree was uprooted and took out
my fence and mailbox over 200 feet away.