[Towertalk] Counterweights for wire verticals

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Counterweights for wire verticals
From: spelunk.sueno@prodigy.net (EUGENE SMAR)
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 17:41:48 -0500
Bill:

     I used flat, black rubber bungee cords to anchor two corners of my
now-removed horizontal loop and for the pulley and far end of my present
inverted L.  The far end (non-feed point) of the L is terminated in an
insulator.  The hook on one end of the bungee cord is looped through the
insulator (I had to open the wire hook a little).  The other end of the
bungee is connected to the anchor rope; the rope terminates at the top of a
tree.  This arrangement gives the horizontal portion of the L a little bit
of springiness when the anchor tree sways.

     To support the pulley (or the corner insulators of the loop), I wrapped
the bungee cord around the tree trunk and hooked the wire hook back over the
cord itself.   I squeezed the hook closed with pliers to provide a bit more
security.  I attached the pulley to the other end of the bungee cord, as I
did with the end insulator, above.

     The loop was in the air 9 years.  I had to restring it twice when the
original dacron cord supporting it was cut by tree branches or by too much
tree swaying.  But after I replaced two corner ropes with the bungees, the
thing lasted until I removed it last year.  And the Inverted L has been up
in the air with bungee cord anchors for four years now, with nary a trouble.

     You can find all this stuff (bungees and pulleys) at Home Despot.  (I
know - the pulley's not marine material but it was there in front of me.)

-Gene Smar  AD3F