[Towertalk] 5.8 GHZ line loss RG8

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] 5.8 GHZ line loss RG8
From: nielsen@oz.net (Bob Nielsen)
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 09:37:44 -0800
On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 03:25:43PM +0000, DanB wrote:
> How much connector loss is there with  type end connectors at 5.8 GHZ
> with 8 ft of RG 8 coax?

I assume you mean type N connectors.

Quite a bit.  I suggest that you use RG-214.  I worked with a piece of
10 GHz test equipment once and someone had made (~5 ft) cables with
RG-213 (equivalent to RG-8) for it and they were very lossy, but when
I replaced with RG-214 cables, there was a huge improvement (it was
about 30 years ago, so I don't remember the numbers).  The single
shield of RG-8 is quite leaky at microwave frequencies.

Better yet, use semi-rigid, heliax or LMR-400, etc.

73,
Bob N7XY