[Towertalk] IS Boom length the HOLY GRAIL ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] IS Boom length the HOLY GRAIL ?
From: billwall@eyecon-solutions.com (Bill Wall)
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 15:12:31 -0500
Hi All:
I knew I would draw a few tough critics on tower talk. I do not have a 33
million dollar test range. All of my testing is hands on comparisons. I just
moved to another location and all of my towers are on the ground. Before, I
had some very good Yagis in the air. 8 over 8 over 8 over 8 on 10 meters. A
fantastic array. These antennas were designed by W2PV. One 24' boom five el
Quad 70% of the time outperformed the Yagis. The Yagis were stacked at 35',
70', 105' and 140'. All were active 100% of the time.The Quad was on my test
tower at 55'. On 10m only KB4I with two stacked Quads could out perform my
Quad. Again this was only one series of test that were conducted. I know
Yagis and Quads and have studied all data since 1972 that has been available
to me. BTW Quads will stay in the air as long as Yagis if they are
engineered properly. OK, Lew could get carried away, but once past this
point he knew more than you or I will ever know about antennas, tuners, TVI
etc. I had a Ham in upstate Maine that had one of my antennas. All of his
Telrex antennas came down in a winter storm, but the Quad survived. I will
be glad to send you a copy of the W1ICP eff. article that was published in
CQ. You might find it interesting without preconceived opinions. Just check
the references at the end of the article. I will mail it to you free if you
promise me you will read it with an open mind. Anyone else wants it I will
send it to them. One question ? who discovered electricity.
Bill Wall KC4UZ  Antenna Mart