[Towertalk] Mounting multiple antennas on mast

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Mounting multiple antennas on mast
From: wz7i@arrl.net (Wes Cosand)
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 17:43:54 -0500
I'm have not seen much discussion of an topic that worries me.  I'm not
certain I am using "best practices".

How do most folks go about mounting multiple antennas on a mast?    Here is
my technique.  Is there a better procedure?

I erect the tower with a rotor shelf and two thrust bearing shelves with
the mast inserted through the three shelves without the rotor.  Then  I
mount and tune the top beam on the mast.  Then I use a small "come along"
hoist between the top shelf and a U-bolt low on the mast to raise the mast
before clamping the thrust bearings in preparation to mount the second
beam.  The two thrust bearings keep the mast from getting away from me
while I mount the rotor.

Is this the way everyone does it?

Wes WZ7I
Wes Cosand, PhD