[Towertalk] Fence charger FCC

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Fence charger FCC
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2003 12:53:34 -0500
At 11:11 AM 1/1/03 -0600, n4kg@juno.com wrote:
>Chargers for livestock can run up to several THOUSAND Volts.
>Best to turn the charger OFF before fooling with the fence :-)
>I've seen dogs come running and howling after hitting my
>neighbors livestock fence.

Mine is rated at 15KV, I believe, but at next to no current.  I would
compare getting across it with grabbing a spark plug wire -- unpleasant but
not really dangerous.  Unless a fence is being partially shorted to ground
through vegetation or a bad insulator, and assuming the charger is properly
grounded, the fence should be quiet at HF.  Many people have reported being
able to hear a fence defect when they get close -- it makes a nice little
blue flame, so it's not too surprising that a dog wouldn't like it,
especially if he got it on the nose.

73, Pete N4ZR
Happy Holidays