[TowerTalk] compass question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] compass question
From: ccc@space.mit.edu (Chuck Counselman)
Date: Mon Feb 10 21:13:38 2003
Rich, KE3Q, wrote:
>...In my area, Maryland, the "magnetic deviation" is about 10
>degrees.  I can never remember, though, if that means when I have my
>compass out I should let the needle come to a stop on 350 or on 10
>to have zero pointing at true north.  Magnetic north is where the
>needle will point, obviously, and true north is 10 degrees off from
>that, but I can never remember which way.  ?

In Maryland a magnetic compass needle points to the west of
astronomical ("true") north.  IIRC, when I was a Boy Scout in
Baltimore, the deviation was more like 13 degrees than 10 degrees.
Check it on the web.  But if it's 10 degrees, then the compass needle
points to an astronomic azimuth of 350 degrees.

-Chuck, W1HIS, ex-W3JVQ