[TowerTalk] Re: Cost of pumping concretein my area

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Cost of pumping concretein my area
From: kq2m@earthlink.net (Robert Shohet)
Date: Tue Apr 29 10:21:07 2003
Hi Guys,

My property consists primarily of ledge and wetlands (I know - weird
combination isn't it?) on the top of a hill.  The towers are on ledge and a
concrete truck could not get to the tower site through the wetlands or by
climbing the ledge.

Solution:

Rent a LARGE backhoe - same one that dug my towers, have the concrete truck
park at the bottom of the ledge and extend the concrete "chute" into the
backhoe "shovel" (about 10' higher up at my QTH).  The large backhoe
receives the concrete directly into the shovel and takes it to the site
where he dumps it in.  The other concrete guy helps shovel it around
properly into the hole.

Backhoeing the concrete was a bit tricky given all the hills, ruts and large
rocks but was the only way to do it at my QTH.  The large backhoe shovel
took about 1 cu yard at a time and there was minimal spilling - he was quite
skilled.

We used this method for all 6 of the tower guypoints (2 towers) and 2 tower
bases
and were done with the 20 cu yards of concrete in under 2 hours and within
the time allowed by the concrete truck.  Since the concrete sets within
about 2 hours in the truck, this was also an important consideration!

The backhoe guy charged me for 3 hours of time  - $225 - but it was well
worth it.
A smaller backhoe could NEVER have done this at my qth and would have taken
much, much longer - I think that the smaller backhoe shovel is about 40% the
size of the larger one.  Of course, most qth's are somewhat level and don't
have the topographic obstacles that I had to deal with, so that may work
nicely.  They certainly cost less per hour to rent!

You are going to be pouring the concrete only once.  Spare no expense to
make sure that it is done "right" with the appropriate professionals there
to help.

GL!

Bob KQ2M