[TowerTalk] rf choke or balun?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] rf choke or balun?
From: jim.wil@cox.net (Jim Wilcox)
Date: Mon Jun 2 11:53:34 2003
What am I missing here--I don't understand the difference between a "balun"
(at least a 1:1 balun) and a "choke."  Possibly K9MI is referring to a 4:1
(or something else other than 1:1) balun?

Aren't they in fact the very same thing?  If they each were in a "black
box," would they not both appear the same?  All I can think of is that the
air-wound choke probably would have a narrower bandwidth of common-mode
attenuation.

Maybe this is just an issue of semantics.

I betcha W1JR knows!  It appears that his coax-on-a-toroid is the best
(whatever that means) 1:1 balun.

vy 73--
Jim Wilcox, W3WV