[TowerTalk] Source of 75 ohm twinlead?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Source of 75 ohm twinlead?
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Tue Jun 17 17:59:27 2003
I hope Van Gordon really has some of the 72 or 75 Ohm stuff, and it's just
*listed* under "450 Ohm Ladder Line" as a misleading heading, because I
haven't seen any for sale in years.  None listed in the latest Belden
catalog, or any other transmission line catalog I have.  As a last resort a
few years back I tried some PVC insulated #18 ga lamp cord whose only label
was UL1950 600V 6A or something like that, and it actually measured quite
consistently at about 70 Ohms, even at 100 MHz (used a 70 Ohm dummy load and
directional coupler with signal generator and RF microwattmeter).  I tried a
few different six or eight foot lengths cut from different parts of the 500'
spool, and sure enough, 70 Ohms with very little deviation.  Wonder how
consistent it is from brand to brand and spool to spool?  The PVC is
probably a bit lossier than polyethylene, but most of the loss would be in
the skin resistance of the wire.....-WB2WIK/6

"Success is the ability to go from failure to failure with no loss of
enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>