[TowerTalk] Rohn BX - What type of Gin Pole?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn BX - What type of Gin Pole?
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Sat Jul 26 00:34:11 2003
Friend of mine is building a new house, and he doesn't want to pay his
Satellite TV service $6 a month for local channels. So, he's going to put
up a ~50 foot tower with a TV antenna, and he came and asked me what I
would recommend for a tower system.

Seems like good old Rohn BX is tailor-made for exactly this sort of
service. We're in a 75 mph county, so wind loading isn't a factor even
with BX (as opposed to HBX or HDBX).

Problem is, I've never worked with BX. What sort of Gin Pole do you use
for this? The section weight shouldn't be a problem, but you can't use a
Rohn gin pole because there's no round legs to clamp to.

How have others overcome this problem? What do you use to raise BX?

I'm also curious that TexasTowers doesn't list BX on their web site. Is
Rohn still manufacturing it?

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901