[TowerTalk] TA-33Jr.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TA-33Jr.
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Fri Aug 8 11:16:52 2003
Carl Mosley designed the TA-33 as a greatly improved replacement for his
vest pocket antennas.
He sold thousands of the TA-33, TA-33JR, Tig Array (750 watt version), and
later TA-36, Classic 33 and 36.  I had a TA-36 and it worked very well on 10
meters.  Funny but the Classic 33 worked well on 20 (better than the 36).
The design has been replaced by better performing antennas but for many
years Carl had the market with WRL/Hy-Gain a distant second.

The first real improvements came from Telrex and Gonset.  The Gonset so
called 3 element was on a 18 foot boom with parasitic 10 and 15 meter
elements.  It was very popular with Contesters
and I recall W1PDF and W1ONK had the Gonset.  It was the first antenna to
have published modifications to strengthen the boom and add elements.  It
was a killer on 20 during the ARRL SS.  The design used capacity decoupling
sections in line rather than parallel with the elements as in the KT 34
series.   The ads touted OHMs law and no coils.  Telrex had a series of
tri-banders that concluded with the TB6EM which is still a performer today.
This forced Hy-Gain to build the TH6 and Mosley to build the Classic 36.

I feel Carl Mosley made the market even though W3DZZ had the first design.

Dave K4JRB