RE: [TowerTalk] follow-up on 4-square conversion

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] follow-up on 4-square conversion
From: corneliuspaul@gmx.net
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 14:19:09 +0200
Good point on the stretching of ropes.
I had to learn that lesson also when developing the spiderbeam

My advise would be to use 2-3mm diameter Kevlar (Aramid) rope.
This rope will have a breaking strength of around 200kg (2mm) to
350kg (3mm), so I guess it is strong enough.

On the other hand it is very lightweight, so even for long guy lines,
the slack in the rope will be quite small.

Kevlar has one of the best stretching values, it stretches maximum 2%,
so your 85ft guy line might become 86ft long under stress.

Kevlar (Aramid) itself is not UV-resistant, therefore Kevlar ropes are
normally made with a Polyester jacket woven around the Kevlar fibres.
This jacket effectively protects the fibres from the sun.

Good luck,
73s Con DF4SA