Re: [TowerTalk] ScotchKote - problems

To: "Towertalk (E-mail)" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ScotchKote - problems
From: "Jim W7RY" <w7ry@centurytel.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 17:30:37 -0800
Scotchkote Electrical Coating

1. Product Description

"Scotchkote" Brand Electrical Coating is a fast drying

sealant and bonding agent recommended for joints

wrapped with plastic electrical tape. The product is

supplied in a 15 ounce brush top can.

Product Features

l Compatible with "Scotch" Brand Plastic

Electrical Tapes.

l Fast drying -Flexible when dry

l Contains own applicator

l No waste if container resealed after use.

2. Applications

"Scotchkote" Brand Electrical Coating is intended for

use as an outer seal on plastic tape applications which

are subjected to excessive amounts of oil. It also

improves the weather resistance and moisture resistance

of the taped joint or splice. It is suitable for direct

burial, direct water immersion or above ground

applications.

Precautionary and first aid information for this product

may be found in its Material Safety Data Sheet and on

the product container.

3. Data

Physical Properties

Property Result

Oil-Proof Test (ASTM) Passed

Adhesion to - Wood Good

- Metal Good

- Rubber Good

- Plastic Good

Dielectric Strength

Dry --------------- 450 volts/mil

24 hrs. in H20 200 volts/mil

Chemical Structure

Property Typical Value

Solvent Methyl ethyl ketone, toluene

Solids (25%) Synthetic rubber & resin

Flash Point +30°F/-1°C

Applicable Specification

MIL-P-18623

4. Application Techniques

After taping splices with "Scotch"

Brand Vinyl Plastic Electrical Tape,

apply "Scotchkote" Brand Electrical

Coating evenly over splice,

extending a short distance onto the

cable insulation. Be sure the surface

is clean, dry and free from oil or

grease before electrical coating is

applied.

5. Availability

"Scotchkote" Brand

Electrical Coating is

available in a 16 oz. can size

with 10 cans per case and

may be purchased from your

local electrical distributor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE TO PURCHASER:

All statements, technical information and

recommendations related to the Seller's

products are based on information believed to

be reliable, but the accuracy or completeness

thereof is not guaranteed. Before utilizing the

product, the user should determine the suitability

of the product for its intended use. The user

assumes all risks and liability whatsoever in

connection with such use.

All statements or recommendations of the Seller

which are not contained in the Seller's current

publications shall have no force or effect unless

contained in an agreement signed by an

authorized officer of the Seller. The statements

contained herein are made in lieu of all

warranties expressed or implied, including but

not limited to the implied warranties of

merchantability and fitness for a particular

purpose which warranties are hereby expressly

disclaimed.

Ó 3M 1993

SELLER SHALL NOT BE LIABLE TO THE USER

OR ANY OTHER PERSON UNDER ANY LEGAL

THEORY, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO

NEGLIGENCE OR STRICT LIABILITY, FOR ANY

INJURY OR FOR ANY DIRECTOR

CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES SUSTAINED OR

INCURRED BY REASON OF THE USE OF ANY

OF THE SELLER'S PRODUCTS.

3M Electrical Products Division 6801 River Place Blvd.

Austin, Texas 78726 - 9000 3M