Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor replacement

To: Jim <ad6ij@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor replacement
From: kb9cry@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 19:39:15 +0000
Using a gin pole to support the weight of this assembly might be pushing it's
limits but I must strongly remind everyone that using the keeper bolt in the
pointed top section to hold the assembly is pretty useless and may give a false
sense of security.  It won't hold against any kind a weight; support the
assembly with the gin pole as described and/or with a clamp on the mast above
the thrust bearing.  Another problem one may have is if the mast is resting
firmly on the rotator housing.  With that weight you may never be able to
removed the rotator or re-install the new one unless the assembly is able to be
raised up a bit.  The gin pole will work, or maybe use a scissors jack on the
top plate up to the first antenna's boom to mast plate or attach a clamp on the
mast way below the top plate and a snatch bloc on the below the top plate and
run a come-along up through the block down to the clamp and winch the assembly
up with that.  Be careful and think things through before going up.  Phil
KB9CRY