Re: [TowerTalk] RE: One Man Tower-LRFD

To: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RE: One Man Tower-LRFD
From: kr7x@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 16:28:53 +0000
Pete and List:

LRFD is a valid steel design code in the US, "Load Resistance Factor Design",
and is allowable under all the building codes. It is sometimes called strength
design method as opposed to Allowable Stress design which is the old stand by.

The wind load used in the design method, either LRFD or ASD, is determined by
the particular code standard such as the UBC or BOCA or SBC or now the
International Building Code. All of these allow the use of the TIA/EIA 222-F
specifications for determining the wind load. The wind load and stresses are
then evaluated using the particular steel design methodology (ASD or LRFD).
This should not cause any problems with building officials especially if an PE
prepares the documentation you submit (shameless plug).

What is important here for amateurs is what was the wind loading criteria used
to determine the allowable areas. If the wind loading criteria is not a US Code
recognized standard, then some conversion to a US code recognized standard may
have to be determined. Wind velocity (speed) and allowable area are the
critical factors for users.

Regards

Lonberg Design Group, Ltd.

Hank Lonberg, P.E.,S.E. / KR7X