Re: [TowerTalk] Guys + isolators ???

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>,"Anibal Dos Ramos" <yy5arr@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guys + isolators ???
From: "RICHARD BOYD" <ke3q@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 14:00:20 -0500
Guy anchor points, three, every 120 degrees, at a distance from the tower of
80% of the height, is standard.  You can
guy less (or more), but in the case of less, if you are near the maximum
windload capability of the antenna, considering
your wind conditions, you may have to go to heavier guy wire, tensioned higher.
 You will need an engineer to
calculate this, if you need closer guying.  But, the standard, for a 100-foot
tower (to use an easy number for this example), would be to have the three guy
anchors equally spaced, 120 degrees apart, at 80 feet from the tower base.

I remember an article by K4VX about using regular guy cable, not broken with
insulators.  He found it worked fine,
as long as your antennas are at the top.  This has been my experience too.
Often the insulators are used when other antennas are side mounted down the
side of the tower, in addition to being at the top, or there are wire antennas
hanging between towers, etc. But if the antennas are just at the top, you
should be fine without breaking up the guys.  This approach is much simpler and
less expensive.

73 - Rich, KE3Q