Re: [TowerTalk] Am I Asking for Trouble?

To: ab5mm <ab5mm@9plus.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Am I Asking for Trouble?
From: Phil Camera <kb9cry@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 20:21:44 -0500
Based on my understanding, the answer would be most probably yes. Is this Polyphaser panel above ground? If there is not a very low resistance/impedance connection from that to your SPG (single point ground), then yes the surge energy will not all be shunted to ground by the arrestors which are mounted above grade. My understanding, after much discussions with Polyphaser and ICE folks, is the the best bet would be to drop the cables down to the ground at the shack end, to your arrestors mounted right at the SPG and then route them up to the entrance. My only concern is that if this up route was long enough, then a nearby surge may be induced into that length and end up in the equipment. Email or call Polyphaser or ICE and ask their opinions; they are the experts. Phil KB9CRY

ab5mm wrote:

One of my towers is a 114' Rohn 25 with the usual antennas on top. All the control wires and coax come from the top down to the 25' level. A tag line of 1/4" steel cable departs the tower at 25' elevation and runs 55' over to the shack. This cable end is attached to the wooden structure via a steel plate bolted to the fascia board with 2x8 backing. The coax and control wires are suspended from this cable and enter the shack via a PolyPhaser panel. The tower is grounded well, as are the guy post and guy wires.

Have I just invited Mother Nature over to burn my shack down with this tag/support line?

Thanks for any input & 73,

Steve
ab5mm