[TowerTalk] How to best determine the need for a balun

Subject: [TowerTalk] How to best determine the need for a balun
From: Lew <Lew@dsl-only.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 23:50:14 -0700
Here's the lash-up: a mostly vertical 1/4 wave vertical up through a fir tree over 27 radials that has best SWR (1.0 : 1) at 1828 when measured at the feed point. After running roughly 350' of RG8 equivalent to the feed the best SWR (again 1.0 : 1) is now at 1858 when measured at the operating position. There is no matching system employed.
Does this mean:
a) I need a 1:1 balun as the feedline is part of the radiator? (Doesn't make sense as the sweet spot should've gone down toward 1800 as the radiator is lengthened?)
b) I've created a wiry outside dummy load? (the few tests done comparing a 1/4 sloper and a dipole at 70' with the 27 radial beauty with stations on the right coast indicate anywhere from a 6 to 18 dB improvement over the dipole and sloper so maybe it's just slightly less of a dummy load than the other two?) I do realize that such tests are frivolous and mean about as much as some presidential polls given all the variables, but gives me a reason to bust in on scintillating discussions regarding bodily functions and favorite now dead transmitters and new antennea, etc. etc.
c) I should just shut up and try the thing out and first time I can't work a particular station, blame it on the lack of a balun and then install one?
Tnx for any insight from the learned or even the opinionated among us.
73 and I remain,
Lew W7EW/W7AT