Re: [TowerTalk] Tower safety equipment

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower safety equipment
From: "K8RI on Tower Talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 13:22:57 -0500

What belts do people recommend? There seems to be a wide range of prices.

I wear a Kline Full floaating "belt" with two "D-rings", plus a safety harness.
It's the same belt I see the guys from Consumers and the Cable Company wearing.

Safety "belt" is kind of a generic term plus it doesn't really describe what you need. These days just about everyone is using a fall arrest harness with a positioning lanyard (the one that hooks to the waist D-rings and holds you in work position) and a fall arrest lanyard that attaches to the D-ring between the shoulder blades. Using this ensemble let's you be attached to the tower 100% of the time for maximum protection.

Fall arrest harnesses can run from about $90 (www.championradio.com) to a couple of hundred bucks for a Klein or similar professional grade.

Like Bill, K4XS, I highly recommend an adjustable lanyard - one size DOESN'T fit all. But for low cost it's hard to beat a 4-foot rope one for $39.00.

I have a pole strap, not a lanyard. It's of vulcanized Nylon in something. I don't remember what the other compound is no. It looks like a regular belt that is adjustable from being able to climb a pole to going around a tower 3' on a side.

BTW OSHA rules only allow fall arrest harnesses anymore no safety belts. As a non-professional you can use whatever you want but the trend is towards more protection and if you're like me, you're more safety conscious now than when you were younger.

Last month when they were out, both consumers and the cable guy were wearing the same belt as I have. In addition they had a harness, but they were wearing belts. I remarked aroubt it and they said they were wearing the same stuff they had for years.

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Cheers, Steve K7LXC Champion Radio Products & TOWER TECH - Professional tower services for commercial and amateur Cell: 206-890-4188 _______________________________________________