[TowerTalk] Yagis in the trees?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Yagis in the trees?
From: "John W" <xnewyorka@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 21:18:57 -0500
Ok, I know this is the TOWER reflector. But all this sappy talk about mother
nature's own towers (trees) has really got me thinking: Can I install my 10M
and 15M stacked yagis in trees instead of on towers?  My new property has
literally thousands of trees, including many nice hardwoods up to about 100'
tall. It would be hard for the Zoning Board to yell at me for exceeding the
35' height restriction for structures when they were already there.

I would like to hear from anyone who has successfully installed one or more
traditional monobander yagis in a tree rather than on a tower. Also, I would
like to know what is the largest recommended antenna for this, safety wise?
(Wondering if 4L 20M beams would work too.)   How did you mount it to the
tree, and how did you get it up there?

Are there special considerations for (I hate to say the word...) lightning?
I am told I am in an VERY lightning prone area. The property goes from 450'
ASL on the west border to 600' ASL in the center of the lot, and then 450'
ASL on the east border.  It continues down to about 300' to 350' ASL just
off the property all the way around. In other words, even without trees or
towers, I am the highest thing within a 1 mile radius.

The antennas fixed on Europe will be about 600' East of the house. The
antennas fixed South will be about 500' South of the house.  The antennas
fixed West and on JA will be about 200' North of the house.  There are good
viable trees at all locations.  Wondering if it makes any sense to use them
rather than cutting a bunch of them down replacing them with galvanized
steel ones..   :-)

73,

John
W2iD