[TowerTalk] 75 meter antenna, low and high angles

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 75 meter antenna, low and high angles
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 20:42:03 -0500
Hi all,

For the chap who wanted to improve the high angle performance of his 95-foot
apex inverted vee while maintaining its DX performance, I offer the following
idea.

I have not tested this on EZNEC, but it seems feasible.

Add another inverted vee as a reflector an appropriate distance below the
95-foot apex. Add a relay in the middle to break it when not required as a
reflector.

When you need good close-in performance, close the relay, activating the
reflector, and fire upwards. When you want low-angle performance, open the
relay and remove it from the equation.

Seems a simpler solution than adding another antenna, particularly a NVIS loop
with multiple supports and another feedline. (No offence intended to the NVIS
loop crowd, merely stating what should, I think, be obvious.)

73, kelly
ve4xt