Re: [TowerTalk] Real numbers for Rohn BX-64 Re: guying

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Real numbers for Rohn BX-64 Re: guying
From: Steve Maki <steve@oakcom.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 15:45:24 -0400
Jim,

Thanks for going through those calcs, it's much appreciated.

Just a couple of questions:

Why did you choose 60% guy anchors instead of the commonly
recommended 80%? I agree though that 60% is probably in that
"sensible" range, but just barely.

I'm not quite sure how you so quickly came up with a number
for base bending moment in the guyed configuration. It seems
unlikely to me that it can be even 1/4 of the unguyed number,
unless the guys were left slack.

But even so, 5700 lbs compression vs. 19,000 compression
is quite an improvement, don't you think?

I do note that you're still worried about increased stress on
on the middle of the tower (column buckling). Are you speaking
of straight downward force collapsing the middle of the tower?

Or a bend, where the downward force helps it along once it gets
started?

Steve K8LX