Re: [TowerTalk] half square ground screens

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] half square ground screens
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 18:05:40 -0500
K4JRB wrote:
There are two ways to feed the bob-tail or half square.
At the top or at the bottom. ....

K4SAV:
I know I have seen antennas built and fed like this, but now that I am
thinking about it, it doesn't seem right.

If you feed the half square at the top corner, the phase of the currents
in the different sections of the antenna are going to be different.

When fed at the bottom, the phase of the currents at the top corner
(around the corner) will be in phase.  If you feed it at the top corner,
then these sections will be 180 degrees out of phase.  The phase of the
current in the vertical sections will change to being roughly 130 out of
phase, instead being in phase. This changes the radiation pattern to
omidirectional and lowers the gain.  The antenna will now function
roughly like a single vertical.

Fed at the bottom, the antenna is bidirectional along the line of the
horizontal wire. It looks like two verticals fed in phase and spaced 1/2
wave apart.

Jerry,  K4SAV