[TowerTalk] 40m Elevated Radials ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 40m Elevated Radials ?
From: "Gedas" <w8bya@mchsi.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 19:39:31 -0500
It is time for me to install some phased verticals for 40m.  Many years ago I
had a full sized pair separated 1/4-wave, each over 25 1/4-wave buried radials
using a home brew continuously tunable phasing network that worked pretty darn
good.  25 years later I would like to go back to a directional vertical system
on 40m.  I was all set to build a pair of self-supporting verticals, base
elevated 5' off the ground and use 4 elevated radials for each.  EZNEC models
seem to indicate that the performance might be very comparable to many ground
buried radials.  However, I understand that their may be some misunderstandings
floating around about the accuracy of the models used and the results that have
been propagated.  My question is should I move forward and try the elevated
radials or stick to the traditional ground mounted approach? Has anyone
actually played with both that might be able to shed some light on this for me.

Gedas, w8bya

e-mail  w8bya@mchsi.com
online gallery  http://gedas.cc
web page  http://www.w8bya.com