Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Switching - Complexity for its own sake?

To: ve3zi@rac.ca, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Switching - Complexity for its own sake?
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 12:05:20 -0400
As the author of that "harsh" criticism, I stand by it.  If the guy wants to
implement a "universal" automatic antenna switch as a learning exercise, that's
fine, but should QST really spend 8 pages on a design that is:

-- unduly expensive and complex - how many potential users have all 3 major
brands of transceivers, two of which have BCD band data available on the back
panel.

-- requires polling the transceiver for frequency data, thereby probably
interfering with the use of the CAT port by other logging or transceiver
control programs.

-- Only switches 5 antennas (though you could slave 1 more of the same big,
expensive units and get 10.

I don't want more beer can or plumbing pipe antenna designs either, nor do I
care to see yet another goofy CW paddle design.  I'd also just as soon never
see another Winlink/Echolink/"isn't the Internet wonderful" story.  It just
seems to me that QST's editors are out of touch with a large segment of their
audience, when it comes to technical articles.  And yes, I have directed such
comments to the editors, and gotten brusquely blown off.

Speaking of which, and while I'm ranting, what's with a review of so-called
"new generation" rotators (September 2005) that compares such apples and
oranges as the AlfaSpid, the Ham V (really a Ham-IV with an expensive,
older-generation digital controller), and the Yaesu G-800DXA?  To frost the
cake, they didn't even address one of the most frequent issues on Towertalk,
which rotator will fit which tower; and when it came to computer control, they
ignored the availability of after-market units that will do a better job for
much less cost than the factory stuff.

All done now.  73, Pete N4ZR