Re: [TowerTalk] Sick Tailtwister

To: <K4BEV@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sick Tailtwister
From: "Bill Parry" <BPARRY@RGV.RR.COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 07:54:03 -0500
Barry,

My tailtwister is 120 feet up and I can clearly hear the rotor. Be sure you
put your ear against the tower. When the brake is released, you should hear
a very distinct "clang" noise. ( I can hear this at some distance from the
tower. If the rotator turns, it will have a grinding sound. If not, it sorta
whines. If the break sticks, which happens all too often in these rotators
the brake seems to vibrate and you can hear this too.

If you hear nothing, that is probably not a good sign. Seems like I remember
that there are some resistance measurements that you can make from the
ground.

Bill, W5VX