[TowerTalk] Guying on Rhone 25 using a GM Hazer

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guying on Rhone 25 using a GM Hazer
From: "Larry D. Perkins" <ldperkins@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 12:20:42 -0500
Greeting to all the tower talent,
I have read with interest the comments about guying towers while using the
GM Hazer. I wonder if anyone has ever considered welding a eyelet to the
inside of each tower leg in such a position that the Hazer tracking
mechanism, either roller or slide, would not be compromised and guying
intermediate sets of guys to the inside "eyelet". It would seem that these
guys could be disconnected from the ground and pulled tight against the
tower face opposite the eyelet as the Hazer passes these levels in
transition. I talked to GM and they said there was approximately 1/2 inch
clearence between the tower face and the mounting plate(s) of the Hazer
assembly. I personally have not seen a Hazer installed up close and personal
so I don't know if that 1/2 inch is a good dimension or not. If it is I
would think a 3/16 guy pulled snugly agains the face of the tower when it
was released at ground level would allow the Hazer to pass.  Things to
consider are the welding to the tower so as not to compromise the strength
of the tower legs and protecting the metal after the weld is made to prevent
corrosion. A consultant at Rhone said there should be no problem with
welding the eyelet to the tower leg if it is spot welded in a couple places
so as not to over heat the metal. Users choice applies as to protection
against corrosion. I  would consider this with only one intermediate set of
guys at say 30-40 ft. More than one set of intermediate guys and things will
get pretty hairy. Your thoughts and comments please.
Larry
W5LDP