[TowerTalk] Aluma Crank Up Tower Install Questions

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Aluma Crank Up Tower Install Questions
From: "nd8l@juno.com" <nd8l@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:48:09 GMT
Good Morning...

I've purchased an Aluma 50' Crank Up with
the ground mounting post option.  The post
consists of a heavy wall galvanized pipe
that is placed in a six foot hole.  Antenna
is a two element Cubex Quad  (20-6 meters)
with a remote antenna switch mounted on the quad boom.

I have a couple of questions for the group:

1. Would I be safe in assuming that the mounting
   post would be effective as a large ground rod?
   The hole is backfilled with sand or ag slag to
   plumb the post after it's placed in the ground.
   Would it be overkill to drive a couple of ground
   rods and tie the tower, mounting post and ground
   rods with heavy guage copper wire?

2. I'm planning on using LMR-400DB, buried in 4"
   plastic conduit to the base of the tower and
   LMR-400 Flexi to the antenna.  Sound like that
   barrel connector would be a good place to ground
   the coax braid as described in recent posts to
   the Reflector.  Comments?

3. What's the best way to electrically bond/ground the
   two sections of crank-up tower?  Again, referring
   to recent posts...how does one ground the top of
   a crank-up tower (other than through the coax braid?

Thanks...

Ray
ND8L
Hubbard, OH