[TowerTalk] Snow and rain attenuation

To: "Towertalk@Contesting.Com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Snow and rain attenuation
From: "Dan Hearn" <dhearn@wwnw.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 08:28:08 -0800
I have been compelled to use dial up ISP service for some time. Recently a
high speed RF link service has become available. It operates on 5.7ghz. The
ISP transmitter is located on a mountain top at about 15 miles distance and
I have line of sight to it. The operator has recently increased power and
thinks an acceptable signal to my location is available. They are ready to
test for this.
  I am concerned that our frequent snow and rain this winter might result in
unreliable signal levels. The receiver end uses a dish and my experience
with the Dish TV system is that less than an inch of snow on the reflector
kills the signal. The ISP antennas on the mountain top are in a snow
environment all winter for sure. They may have heaters on their antennas to
solve this problem at that end.
  Has anyone had experience in a situation like this? Should I stick with my
dial up?

73, Dan, N5AR