Re: [TowerTalk] Guy Rope

To: Dan Hearn <dhearn@wwnw.net>, Ken Shutt <k5guu@amsat.org>,Tower Talk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guy Rope
From: Peter Chadwick <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 10:26:52 +0100 (CET)
I use 12mm diameter pre-stretched polyester rope, intended for marine use. It's
UV proof and rated for just over 4000lbs. That's on a 60 foot crank up.

No knots - they effectively half the strength. The ends are formed around
thimbles and then are spliced. Then I uses a 1200 lb rated rope to go four
times through the thimbles to act as a 'come along', much as was done with the
blocks on ships in the days of sail.
There are quite a few ropes for marine use: some are intended to stretch, but
pre-stretched polyester isn't. Also, not all are UV proof. The down side is
that prestretched polyester isn't cheap - it cost me about $900 - and it isn't
that light, either. But it works for me.
73
Peter G3RZP