Re: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft XM240 vs. M2 2 and 3 ele lin loaded

To: "'w0mu'" <w0mu@w0mu.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft XM240 vs. M2 2 and 3 ele lin loaded
From: "Bill Parry" <BPARRY@RGV.RR.COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 22:00:45 -0600
I have had a XM240 up at 135 feet since 2001. I have never had problems with
mine. I don't know how much the M2 antennas cost or their physical size but
I think that the XM240 hits the "sweet spot".

It is pretty broadbanded.  I set mine for about 7075 but found that the SWR
curve rises much more quickly on the low side of 1:1 than the high side.
This makes the SWR a little over 2:1 at 7.000 and 2:1 on the high side is up
about 7.235. If I had it to do again I would lower the resonant point
(lengthen the driven element). That said, the antenna really plays on CW.

Oh, the antenna seems to be more sensitive to other antennas being near than
the old 40-2CD.  I have mine mounted about 11 feet above my Force 12 C3E and
there was considerable interaction.  I turned the C3 90 degrees and this
seemed to fix it.

Just a few anecdotal observations,
Bill, W5VX