Re: [TowerTalk] "GEE-WIZ IT WORKS"

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] "GEE-WIZ IT WORKS"
From: "AD5VJ Bob" <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 13:28:41 -0600
Now what I would like to figure out is:

(I guess ignorance is bliss)

I had a wonderful surprise just now, I just made my first
*ever* 6 mtr contact on the new antenna so it must work on
6 mtr also.

Actually was just going to see if I could hear anybody on
50.125 and low and behold all kinds of signals coming in
from all over.

So after saying it was stupid to try and talk to anyone
(not having an beam for 6) I did anyway.

Low and behold he came back to my call :0)
After picking myself up off the floor we had a QSO and I
logged my first *ever 6 mtr contact.

Used the tuner in the rig this time not the MFJ (didn't
figure it would cover up to 50Mhz and got AA6DD in
California to come back

EVEN HAD A QSO not just a signal report.

I am hearing him in the background while I type this.

NOW I AM *REALLY* EXCITED.

Wish I know how to figure out a beam pattern of this
thing.

I have an antenna bridge MFJ-204B but I think all it will
do is tell me impedances of the transmission line.

The manual doesn't say much about using it.

  73 fer nw,
Bob AD5VJ

10X# 37210, FP#-1141, SMIRK#-5177
http://www.n5iet.com/
Code may be taking a back seat for now,
but the pioneering spirit that put the code
there in the first place is out front of it all.

AD5VJ Bob
> Sent: Friday, December 02, 2005 10:19 AM
> To: 'J. Gordon Beattie, Jr.'; towertalk@contesting.com
> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] "GEE-WIZ IT WORKS"
>

> Hi Gordon:
>
> Well this one is probably an older one at least it looks
> like it. Has analogue meter read out and is model
MFJ-949B

> Hope that helps. This tuner is rated at only 300W but it
> seems to tune just about anything I have put in it so
far
> to 50 ohms and this FT-920 is very very picky.
>
> Now antenna efficiency is quiet another story, it has
> tuned some antennas for the transceiver's approval -
that
> wouldn't get out across the street (literally) but that
> wasn't the tuners fault -
>
> That was my own "special" form
> of electromagnetic engineering.
>
> "Put Up Listen See Who Answers"
> "PULSWA Engineering" Hi Hi
>
>   73 fer nw,
> Bob AD5VJ
>
> 10X# 37210, FP#-1141, SMIRK#-5177
> http://www.n5iet.com/
> Code may be taking a back seat for now,
> but the pioneering spirit that put the code
> there in the first place is out front of it all.

wire
> is
> > useful stuff!
> >
> > 2. You actually got that MFJ tuner to work?
> >     I have several low-end MFJ tuners that work great,
> but
> > the 989D a
> > friend of   mine has is JUNK!  Is this what you have?
>

> > Observations:
> >     1. His tuner couldn't dip the SWR anywhere on
> 40/20M
> > with a 35 piece of wire.
> >     2. The numbers at the end stops on the roller
> inductor
> > kept changing wildly.
> >     3. As a "Legal Limit" tuner I would question
> whether it
> > would work given the
> >             capacitor gap spacing.
> >
> > Anyone have any thoughts here?
> >
> > 73,
> > Gordon Beattie, W2TTT
> > 201.314.6964
> > w2ttt@arrl.net
> > w2ttt@att.com

Dx
> on
> > 160 and couldn't even get to Dallas on my 80 meter
> inverted
> > Vee even with the tuner.
> >
> > So I did all I could do:
> >
> > Used bailing wire I tied 7 20' water pipes at varying
> distances to my
> > fence posts.
> >
> > Strung the telephone wire up at the top using more
> bailing
> > wire to hold it to the top of the poles.
> >
> > Ran the telephone wire into my shack to my tuner.
> >
> > Hooked the tuner to my FT-920 and prayed.
> >
> > Now the amazing part to me is:
> >
> > 1) Two days after I put it up we had a wind storm that
knocked out
> > power even as far as Dallas (the day of
> > CQWW-CW) and the antenna is still standing just as I
had
> > put it up originally.
> >
> > 2) As I said I really was hoping to at least be able
> > talk to someone in Dallas or Ft Worth or even
> Weatherford,
> > but - so far I have been able to work 13 Dx stations
on
> it
> > the farthest of which was Hawaii.
> >
> > Oh I know good conditions no doubt, but even so:
> >
> > I was amazed for 100W output and God only knows how
> > *little* actually transmitted or what the pattern is
> > (other then straight up Hi Hi)
> >
> > ((Next I try the metal flashing around the house Hi
Hi))

> > So no it isn't according to spec and it certainly
isn't
> > according to theoretical norms (in fact it is
laughable)
> but
> > for what ever the reason is it seems to be enough to
get
> me
> > some contacts.
> >
> > So I will be in the contest with a smile and looking
> > forward to *any* contacts I can get.
> >
> > My first exploratory on the 160 meter band so I am
> hoping
> > to use the contest this go around as a means of giving
> me
> > a sort of "real-life" antenna pattern for it.
> >
> > IF YOU HEAR ME PLEASE WORK ME I WILL PUT YOU ON THE
> > ANTENNA PATTERN CHART :0)
> >

> >   73 fer nw,
> > Bob AD5VJ
> >
> > 10X# 37210, FP#-1141, SMIRK#-5177
> > http://www.n5iet.com/
> > Code may be taking a back seat for now,
> > but the pioneering spirit that put the code
> > there in the first place is out front of it all.

> > See: http://www.mscomputer.com  for "Self Supporting
> Towers",
> > "Wireless Weather Stations", and lot's more.  Call
Toll