[TowerTalk] Setting up HFTA

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Setting up HFTA
From: "Dean Straw" <n6bv@arrl.org>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 12:33:27 -0800
Bill, W2WO, said:

> Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 12:52:27 -0500
> From: Bill Ogden <ogden@us.ibm.com>
> Subject: [TowerTalk] HFTA
> To: towertalk@contesting.com
>
> Does anyone have a more detailed writeup available for setting up HFTA?  I
> have the Antenna Handbook and CD, but it is rather general about how to
> download the necessary mappng data.
>
> Bill --- W2WO

Go to the ARRLWeb site for the latest updates on the The ARRL Antenna Book,
from the main window:
Click on Support, Product Notes & Updates, and then click on: The ARRL
Antenna Book, 20th Edition (9043)
.Product notes and file corrections.

or you can go to: http://www.arrl.org/notes/9043/index.html directly.

There, you'll find an updated procedure for downloading topo map data from
the USGS. Keep in mind that USGS updates their Web sites regularly, making
obsolete whatever I can do to keep up with their changes!

If you use the DEMs (Digital Elevation Model) data, you will probably have
to "merge" up to four topo maps together to cover the azimuths around your
tower. This is a pain in the neck, but it yields the most accurate topo
data, particularly for mountainous terrain. The NEDs in the seamless
database are easier to specify (usually by latitude/longitude), but they are
in effect too seamless and smoothed to give good results in mountainous
terrain. For most terrain, however, they are accurate enough.

Good luck, Dean Straw, N6BV
Senior Assistant Technical Editor, ARRL
Editor, The ARRL Antenna Book