Re: [TowerTalk] re Radials

To: "Bill Coleman" <aa4lr@arrl.net>, "Dave Tipton" <dave@lodave.org>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] re Radials
From: "hasan schiers" <schiers@netins.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 08:52:44 -0500
Actually, they can be MUCH shorter than .22 wl, as long as you have enough
of them. Many more shorter is quite a bit better than many fewer longer.

There are free programs by G4FGQ, RADIAL2 is the name I think, but just
google G4FGQ and you will get to his site and free downloads. The radial
program is a good one and answers all the questions being raised. It lets
you manipulate number/length/freq and ground characteristics to show
efficiency. VERY HANDY!

For any given band (40,80,160), if I were in a hurry and wanted the best
efficiency for the time invested, I would put down 16 50' radials as evenly
spaced as possible. Lay them on the ground, secure with lawn staples. Over
reasonably good soil in the first place, you will get > 70% efficiency.

I ran a bunch of measurements on radials starting with 0,2,4, up to about
26. (I laid them out 2 at a time), measuring both 2:1 vswr bandwidth and
feedpoint impedance (at the actual feedpoint, not in the shack). They were
all around 50 to 60' and the band was 80m. I got 90% efficiency at 26, and
had over 70% at 16. Even 8 was not embarassing.

2:1 vswr bandwidth DECREASES with increasing efficiency, as it should.

Feedpoint Z dropped from near 70 ohms to 29 ohms going from 0 to 26 radials
(theoretically perfect for the antenna in question was 26 ohms...an Inverted
L of 42 x 25 ft (height, length). The 70 ohms originally measured with no
radials showed 44 ohms of ground loss (44 + 26 = 70), an efficiency of 37%.
The final value at 26 radials was 26/29 or 89.6% efficiency

I have enough wire laying around to do about 16 more radials of similar
length, (and a nice DX-Engineering ground plate to tie them to), so I should
end up with 52 radials. I would GUESS I might get to 93% or so by adding the
remaining radials.

Again, all insulated #14 THHN wire, laying on the ground, lawn stapled into
place.

The data I got is completely consistent with the ARRL publications that
describe how to get minimum loss for a given wire length available, as well
as with G4FGQ's program. I do think Reg's program is a bit optimistic, but
it points one in the right direction. I have full faith in the studies
published in the ARRL Antenna Handbook on how to optimize a radial field, as
my actual measurements agree very strongly with the article.

Hope this helps ya.

73,

...hasan, N0AN